Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Last nights dinner...

So, I just finished doing the dishes (I'm the next day dishwasher), and I find that I can't stop thinking about last nights dinner!  It was AMAZING!! Shrimp should become your best friend, really.  It is such a high protein, low calorie, mass quantity food. If you tried it in the past and didn't like it, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try it again!!  Hot, cold, grilled, sautéed, steamed, broiled it is an amazing power food.
I know I posted it on FB last night but I'm gonna do it again here and give you the recipe.  Please try it, it is a permanent staple in our house now.


Shrimp and Asparagus with Sauteed Gnocchi
Serves 4, 1 1/2 Cups each 464 calories

1 TBS. and 2tsp. olive oil ( can be flavored or EVOO), divided
1 lb. gnocchi (potato dumplings)
1/2 C shallots, sliced
1 lb. asparagus cut into 4ths (remove tough ends first)
3/4 C fat free chicken broth
1lb med-lg shrimp peeled tails removed
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese

Heat 1 TBS olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add gnocchi and cook, stir often until plumpy and slightly brown, about 7-10 minutes.  Remove from skillet.
Add the rest of the olive oil and add shallots to skillet.  Cook and stir till browning begins.  Add asparagus and broth.  Cover and cook til asparagus is slightly tender.  Add shrimp and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook til shrimp turn pink .
Add the Gnocchi back into the skillet along with the lemon juice till gnocchi is heated through.
Pour half of mixture into serving dish and sprinkle with half of the cheese.  Pour the rest of the mixture on top of the serving dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Let melt before serving.
NOTE:  Sauce will thicken from the gnocchi, just be a little patient :)

If you desire more flavor you can add many varieties of fresh herbs into or onto this dish.  Also a Swanson's flavor boost packet would be really good.
And for those of you that are allergic or just can't do seafood, chunks of chicken or turkey breast would be just fine...just remember to adjust the calories and the cooking procedure accordingly.

I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did.....I will be cooking it for my Florida family when I visit in September :)


No comments:

Post a Comment