Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The dreaded "E" word...

EXERCISE!!!!
Everyone always seems to hate that word.  It's related to the following phrases:

  • It's so much work
  • I can't do that
  • It makes me tired
  • I don't have time
  • I have nobody to watch the kids
  • I can't fit it into my work/school schedule
  • I have physical limitations that don't let me
BULL FARKLE!!!  Everyone can fit in at least 20 minutes a day, and you would be surprised how easily you can fit in more than that.  I agree change is the devil and its hard to swallow, but once you do it you will be so happy you did!  When I first started I was a wreck because things weren't getting done around the house and I was behind on so many things because the hour i worked out seemed to dip into my day so much.  But, with the help of Tammy getting me to realize that it will start to be "normal" i pushed on.  (Thankfully my husband was also patient with me)

When most of us were small we probably watched our mothers do Sweatin to the Oldies, Jane Fonda, and stationary bicycles, and if you lived on a farm mom probably kept up the calorie burn with daily chores and duties.  A lot has changed since then (that makes me feel old, lol).  We now have gyms, YMCA, at home equipment, and more exercise routines available to us via the Internet.  We are a very lucky generation to have so much available to us.  Oh and lets not forget the two most up and coming modes of movement, the Wii and the Xbox 360 with Kinect.

Where did I start??  I started off almost 100lbs over weight, a pack a day smoker, and never did a day of "working out" in my life!  So my trick was to find something i liked so much i wouldn't want to stop no matter how much i felt like i was dying.  I happened to have a Wii fit board and game thanks to my favorite Florida girl, and I had gotten Just Dance 3 for Christmas.  This is where I started.  I'm not going to sugar coat it by any means....I thought i was going to DIE after 10 minutes of dancing! But as time went on the Wii fit helped me with a little bit of entertaining calorie burn, some good stretchy yoga, and a weight loss tracker.  Just dance got easier and prompted me to get Zumba for the Wii.  Wow...I was in love!!!  Zumba is one of the best things that I ever could have been introduced to...the music is fun and just makes you want to shake that bootie!  LOL  But let me tell you I had a hard time getting the moves down right away and after a 20 minute class i was more than done...but over time i learned the moves and the 20 minute class turned into a 40 minute class  LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!  Its one of those things i want to push onto everyone i know cause i have so much fun with it.

But anyways, lol...I got bored with the at home stuff and ventured out into the world of gyms.  Tuesday nights i have to take my kids to karate so i would pay the $10 to go use the elliptical machine for 45 minutes while they did that.  Fell in love again.  Then I started paying that same amount various times a week just to use random community centers equipment for my one hour workouts.  But then I found the most wonderful thing ever...I got a free 7 day pass to the YMCA...Its all down hill from there, or should I say uphill (up burns more calories).  We now have a family membership and I spend 2-21/2 hours there everyday (that includes shower time).  This is what I do on a weekly basis:

  • Monday:  30 min elliptical/treadmill  30 min swim laps  (Monday is recoup from weekend day)
  • Tuesday:  30 min elliptical/treadmill  30 min weight machines (because more muscle means more calories burned!) 30 min kickboxing (if time allows) and 30 min swimming
  • Wednesday: MY FAVORITE DAY!  30 min treadmill/elliptical  45-60 minute Zumba class 20-30 min swim
  • Thursday:  50 min interval training (weights and core) going to start 50 min yoga 30 min swim
  • Friday:  30 min elliptical/treadmill  50 minute Zumba 30 min swim

This is my week as of right now, it is going to change when the kids are done with summer school, I'm not taking anything away but i will be adding at least 2 hours of swim on all days that I don't have something alternative planned like the Zoo or the Aquarium.  Oh and Thursday's I will be traveling to another area YMCA to take my Wednesday Zumba instructors class and let the kids play in the splash park .  I am excited about all this because my kids can go to child watch while i workout and then we can all suit up and eat lunch by the outdoor pool, plus they have kids Zumba  Fridays after my class, they are going to love it!
All these things I have listed are included in my membership with the Y...nothing is extra that i have listed...where else can you find that?!  Plus membership is based on your income and it caps off at $100 or so a month for a family of 4 ( I think).  I feel like I just did a commercial!  lol
So all this excitement over working out is coming from someone who used all those excuses you saw in the beginning....I am in love with all that I do and I know that if you find that thing that you like, you can be successful too.

2 comments:

  1. This is where I'm struggling. When I lost weight before I got pregnant, I was going to the gym sometimes twice a day. I was doing at least 4 spin classes a week, jogging, and biking outside on the weekends. Now, I just don't have time to devote to that amount of exercise. Finding it hard to lose when I'm getting 3 good workouts in a week. I know it will balance out when Jax gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what your daily life is like but don't limit yourself to just what the gym offers....put him in his stroller, walk to a park, and use the equipment to its fullest...do step ups, bar push ups, jog around their track (if they have one). When you do the push ups make him face you and make funny faces at him while you do it to keep him occupied. Or just strait up go for a walk. If I remember right babies love being outside. Use him as your weights. Grab him under his pits and push him up over your head. It can be fun and calorie burning for mom and baby. And remember....a loss is a loss no matter how little. Just keep the health mindset in place and you will be just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete