Friday, June 8, 2012

MUSHROOMS!!

WE LOVE MUSHROOMS!!!



Sauteed thyme mushrooms over wilted spinach and arugula on a bed of polenta.
This vegetarian dish came in at 316 calories without the bread.  It was finished off with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and crunchy garlic.  It was something that I came up with myself.
(Funny since Ive quit smoking i am realizing i am spending more time paying attention to the food I'm cooking instead of trying to rush to the next step so i can get outside.)

Anyways mushrooms have recently picked up on the health benefit hype.  Not only are they full of antioxidants they have vitamin D as well.  The mushrooms I used in this dish were regular white button mushrooms.  You can use any mushroom you would like.  I could have used enoki, portabella, oyster, or shitake in this but they didn't appear to be as fresh as the buttons.  
When you buy mushrooms you need to make sure they are bright in their color, no slime or browning.  White buttons can be easily picked out fresh by looking at the connection of the top and the stem.  If the top is still wrapped tightly around the stem and the rest of the mushroom is still a bright white color you have yourself a good package of mushrooms.
This dish was delicious and if you would like the recipe let me know and I will post it!

1 comment: