Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Don't be a "shoveler"...

Everyone eats in their own way.  You could look through a restaurant at any given time and not see two people eating their food in the same way, it's one of those, " depends on how you were raised" kinda things.
So that being said, I would like to put down a couple tips or tricks that I have come up with on my own, whether they work or not, who knows!?
So I am a "shoveler", meaning I use my eating utensil as a shovel and pile it in like Garfield and his lasagna.  While trying to figure out how to make the food on my plate last longer I discovered that if i eat like a "European"  I tend to eat slower.  You know they hold their fork in their left hands and its upside down.  I know not everything can be eaten like this but if I do it when i can it works well, so give it a try.
Also we are technically supposed to chew each bite of food 20-30 times, I don't know about you but I know that I don't do this on a regular basis.  It makes sense to do this for a few reasons.  It will allow you to have that flavor and mouth feel in your mouth longer helping you to feel satisfied, it will force you to eat slower because you are taking the time to chew rather than shovel, and it also gives your brain a sufficient amount of time to recognize that its full. Oh and I should mention that it promotes healthier digestion too.
For so long food was only a necessity but now we see it as an experience, so make it just that.  Savor your food, relish in its many tastes and textures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment